Tuesday, June 2, 2009

What Not To Do In the Storm

Don’t forget His Presence!
Don’t forget His Promise!
Don’t forget His Power!

In Mark 8:35-41, Jesus and His disciples were in a ship and He told them to “Let us pass over to the other side”. Jesus fell asleep in the “hinder part of the ship”. A storm came up and began to toss the ship about. The disciples were very fearful and woke Jesus up saying, “Carest thou not that we perish?”

Jesus immediately awoke, rebuked the sea saying, “Peace, be still”, and there was a calm. In the midst of the storm the disciples forgot His presence; that His just being there is enough. They forgot His promise to get them to the other side and they forgot His power to take care of them.

Life sometimes can throw us a curve and we can find ourselves in the midst of a storm. The winds of frustration are blowing. You have fought wave after wave until you are totally soaked and you can barely stand. And, yes, here comes another wave! The boat is tossing from side to side and the lightening is flashing across the sky! It seems like the thunder of His silence comes to us and we almost give up. With every clasp of thunder you hear, “You’re too old or too young, too weak, not smart enough and Jesus doesn’t hear you”. “He will not answer your prayers and you’re not going to make it.”

But in all our doubts and fears and disarray we pick ourselves up and blindly make our way to the bow of the ship. Maybe Jesus is still on board; maybe He can still help me. Yes, there He is! I can barely see Him. But wait, I can feel His presence! As I make my way to Him I remember His promise to take me to the other side. As He holds out His arms of love to me I run, yes, run, into them and He holds me like no one else can.

Have you ever been in a place like this? Maybe not but if you ever find yourself here don’t forget His presence. He may be silent like the teacher giving the test but it doesn’t matter, He is still there. Don’t forget His promise to take care of you. It doesn’t matter the circumstances, He will take care of you. And last, but not least, don’t forget His power to step on board your ship of life and speak calm to your storm.

Please allow me to reiterate what NOT to do in the storm.

Don’t forget His Presence!
Don’t forget His Promise!
Don’t forget His Power!

Until next time,
Sis. Dorothy

5 comments:

  1. Awesome blog, mom. I love you!

    Kimmie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sis. Dorothy I needed this today more than you know.

    Love Ya,
    Sis. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful blog. It encourages all of us to hear those who have lived for him for many years remind us that He is the God of the storm.

    Sis. D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I won't forget...His presence! His promise! His power! That's all I need to get me through the storms of this life. Great post.

    ReplyDelete