Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Saving money eating at home

Anyone ever heard of Once a month cooking? It's when you make several meals at once for the whole month.I've never tried this before but I think it's a great idea.
We have just recently started buying food in bulk to save money on groceries(I haven't had time for coupons lately)I have to freeze a lot of food before it goes to waste.And now I'm thinking of making meals to freeze.One of my family's favorite meals is lasagna and they can't get enough of it.Next time I make it I'll make 2 or 3 batches to freeze for times when we need a quick meal.(Just remember to thaw before you put it in the oven!)
Now on the weekends and Sunday afternoons after church we come home to eat instead of eating out.It is way more convenient to go out to eat on a busy days like Sundays but this has helped us to save money for other things.
I've used crock pot meals to help me and those are great to save time when you're in a hurry.Just throw together a salad and some rolls and you've got a great healthy meal for your family.I'm sure all of you know all this already but I'm just letting you know what helps me out right now.
If you'd like to start freezing meals I've included a recipe below.

Sticky chicken
4 tsp. salt
2 tsp.paprika
1 tsp.cayenne pepper
1 tsp.onion powder
1 tsp.thyme
1 tsp. white pepper
1/2 tsp.garlic powder
1 tsp.black pepper
1 large roasting chicken
1 cup onion,chopped
In a small bowl,combine all spices together.remove giblets from chicken,rinse cavity well and pat dry with paper towels.
Rub spices into chicken,both inside and outside making sure it is evenly distributed and deep down into the skin.Place in a zipper food storage bag or freeze.
or if you're ready to roast,then stuff cavity with onions,place in a shallow baking pan and roast uncovered at 325* for 5 hrs.
After the first hour,baste chicken every 30 minutes with pan juices.The pan juices will start to caramelize on the bottom of the pan and the chicken will turn a golden brown.
Always let your chicken rest 10-15 minutes before carving.
Enjoy! Hope y'all have a great Wednesday!

1 comment:

  1. Yum. That sounds really good. I love crockpot cooking. I do this quite a bit on Sundays, too. Love you! Sis. D.

    ReplyDelete