Monday, August 31, 2009

Memorizing the Bible A to Z

Good morning to all!

What a beautiful atmosphere there was in service last evening. The "sweetness" of God was so refreshing. We had a great ladies meeting afterward and then a meeting for Bible Quizzing. It looks like we will have beginner, junior, and intermediate teams this year! How exciting. Also, I can't wait for the festivities of next Sunday and the "Heels in the Kitchen" party tomorrow night. Let's all keep Nikki and little one in our prayers. They are inducing labor tomorrow.

One of my burdens lately has been our children and how to build a desire to memorize scriptures and become familiar with the Bible. It is the staying power of our spiritual life. In my daily devotional, James Dobson wrote "I'm suggesting that we stop and consider the brevity of our years on earth, perhaps finding new movitation to preserve the values that will endure." I Chronicles 29:15 states "For we are here for but a moment, strangers in the land; our days on earth are like a shadow, gone so soon, without a trace." How caught up with get with this earth. If we could just stop and shake ourselves and remind ourselves that we are here to prepare for the life to come. Truly, the things of this world will pass away.

I ran across this idea for helping your kids memorize scriptures. Perhaps you might want to try it, also. Use the ABC's and in 26 days, memorize 26 scriptures. Ready? Let's go...

A

Proverbs 7:2 Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye.

B

Psalms 4:4 Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah.

C

Galatians 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

D

John 10:9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

E

Psalms 8:9 O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth!

F

Matthew 4:19 And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

G

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

H

Psalms 42:1 As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.

I

Psalms 32:8 I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.

J

Psalms 126:5 They that sow in tears shall reap in joy.

K

Revelation 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

L

1 John 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

M

Proverbs 17:22 A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones.

N

Romans 15:2 Let every one of us please his neighbour for his good to edification.

O

Proverbs 15:17 Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred therewith.

P

1 Thessalonians 5:17 Pray without ceasing.

Q

Psalms 105:40 The people asked, and he brought quails, and satisfied them with the bread of heaven.

R

Job 37:6 For he saith to the snow, Be thou on the earth; likewise to the small rain, and to the great rain of his strength.

S

Psalms 93:4 The LORD on high is mightier than the noise of many waters, yea, than the mighty waves of the sea.

T

Psalms 34:13 Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile.

U

Ephesians 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

V
Psalms 23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

W

Psalms 86:11 Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

X
Matthew 16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Y

Matthew 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Z

Psalms 119:139 My zeal hath consumed me, because mine enemies have forgotten thy words.

Love to all...

Sis. D.

2 comments:

  1. Great idea,I'll have to try that Caleb and Sara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LIKE THAT YOU'VE REMINDED US THAT THIS WORLD WILL COME TO PASS AND THE THINGS THAT CAN GET US THROUGH IT ARE THE WORDS OF FAITH !!

    ReplyDelete